Q. Do you only build houses that are “green” or eco-friendly?
No, we love to incorporate eco-friendly upgrades into homes, however they are not required. The majority of homes that we built in 2019 and 2020 were either farmhouse style or luxury custom homes.
Q. What areas do you serve?
We cover the following counties and towns in northeast Georgia:
- Oconee County, Bishop, Watkinsville, Bogart, and Statham
- Greene County, Lake Oconee, and Greensboro
- Madison County, Danielsville, Colbert, Ila, Comer, Hull, Carlton
- Morgan County and Madison
- Putnam County and Eatonton
- Clarke County, Athens, Winterville, and Jefferson
- Jackson County, Jefferson, Commerce, Pendergrass, Nicholson, and Houschton
- Hart County and Lake Hartwell
- Banks County, Homer, and Alto
Q. How long does it take to build a new house?
Typically, most houses take anywhere between 5 to 12 months depending on the square footage.
Q. How much does it cost to build a custom home?
Our pricing is customized to your plans and your selections. The majority of our custom homes range from $400,000 to over $1,000,000.
Q. Do you offer financing?
No, we do not offer financing, however we can recommend lenders in the area that may be of assistance.
Q. Do you have your own house plans?
No, we do not have a book of house plans because the majority of the houses that we build are designed by our clients. We would be happy to recommend a local designer that may be of assistance. One easy way to start looking for ideas is to browse home plan websites.
Some of our favorite website are:
Q. What can I expect when I meet with the builder for the first time?
We prefer to meet with clients in person at our office in Athens, however a phone meeting can also be arranged.
Before the meeting, you should gather the following information:
- House plan selected (or several)
- Inspiration pictures of the types of cabinets, flooring, exterior, etc.
- Land or a lot
- List of questions
Q. Do I need to pay for my estimate or pay a down payment before starting construction?
No, we do not charge for any estimates. No down payment is required.
Q. What is the process when building a custom home with Green Source Homes?
- Initial consultation, bring any house plans you have in mind, discuss your expectations and price range, obtain estimate from GSH
- Paperwork and forms- confirm financing is available from lender/bank, finalize house plans with designer/architect, level 3 soil test on land, sign contract and agreed upon draw schedule
- Planning and Permits - obtain approval from any homeowners association if required, septic permit from health department, building permit from building department
- Meet with a designer to choose selections or choose your own. We can help direct you. Most people will use Houzz or Pinterest for inspiration. You will need to select: interior/exterior paint, brick/rock exterior, shingle color, cabinet colors and hardware, front door, flooring, countertop, lighting, appliances, specialty hardware - door knobs, shelving, garage doors, and gutters. The sooner you make these selections, the better!
- Grading and foundation
- Framing and roof
- Exterior trim, brick, rock, paint
- Rough-in - HVAC, plumbing, and electrical
- Drywall (Sheetrock) and trim
- Paint interior
- Flooring - install carpet and tile, LVP, sand and finish hardwood if required
- Set-out mechanicals - HVAC, plumbing, and electrical
- Driveway and landscaping
- Final walk through with the homeowner. You can create a “punch list” for items that need attention.
- Final inspection by building department, CO issued
- Closing on your house with the mortgage lender